Flag USA

Flag USA
Long may it wave

FACTS NOT FASCISM

FACTS NOT FASCISM

Friday, March 23, 2012

The Optimism of Occupying

The following e-post addresses the effects of stress on health.


via Occupy Wall Street --


[by MachineShopHippie (70) from Louisville, KY]

Actually, I feel GREAT! But, I do totally understand and sympathize. The current local, national and global climates are all very stressful. There is uncertainty about almost everything, from international agreements and currency issues, down to local problems like unemployment and government oppression.

Stress is a huge factor in most illness, and directly affects things like immune response and levels of dopamine and serotonin in the brain. It sounds like what you're describing is low level depression. It's completely understandable, and more and more people are being diagnosed with it every day.

I was horribly depressed for a while, feeling like nothing was ever going to change, and feeling powerless to do anything meaningful about it. Now I realize that we are all just one tiny drop, but if we all act together, we are a powerful flood. I give supplies to my local occupiers. I call the mayor weekly to tell him that homeowners with jobs appreciate his continued tolerance of the encampment and him not turning our local police force into stormtroopers. When I see the police harassing kids, I ask if they are under arrest and let them know what their rights are. I work hard at my job and feel good about helping the domestic manufacturing industry at a small, family owned company. I work on my house and foster a sense of community in my neighborhood. I take care of my body so that no matter what may happen in the next few years, I'll be ready for whatever physical challenges I may have to deal with.

The wonderful thing that Occupy has done for me is to replace a strong sense of dread with an even more powerful sense of anticipation. We're on the front lines of a movement to save our communities, our country, our world and ourselves. We all know things can't go on this way. A major change is coming. Every day is a gift of time to prepare. I am preparing to serve, preparing to educate, and preparing to lead. Whatever talents you have, we are going to need them. Things may seem bleak right now, but just know that an amazing future is coming and you can be one of the ones that help shape it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment to "The Musical Patriot." Moderation is used on this blog to help prevent spam and other inappropriate messages. Please complete this form so your comment may be processed for possible inclusion on the blog. Thank you for being a reader of "The Musical Patriot!"

Featured Post

Bill Clinton Warns on Rising Nationalism

Rush Link -- Bill Clinton on Rise of Nationalism